ThyCa NEWS NOTES – April 2010
In This Issue:
- Web Site Receives More than 10,000 Visits Each Day
- Four Online Surveys: Have You Taken Part?
- Cookbook’s 7th Edition Coming Soon
- Come to the Free Midwest Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Workshop
- Vermont/New England Thyroid Cancer Symposium To Be Part of Stowe Weekend of Hope
- Free One-Day Workshops Also Planned in California, Florida, Maryland, and Newfoundland, Canada
- Free Thyroid Disease Forum May 15 in Minneapolis
- USA Today Article Focuses on Procedures After RAI
- Volunteers in the Spotlight
- Follow ThyCa on Facebook
- ThyCa Represented at National Comprehensive Cancer Network Meeting
- Invitation to Partner in Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month
- Low-Iodine Recipe of the Month
- Help Support the 2010 Rally for Research
- You’re Invited To Become a Member
- Events Preview
- Every Day…
- Your Ideas?
- About ThyCa NEWS NOTES
Web Site Receives More Than 10,000 Visits Per Day
We’re excited to report that the www.thyca.org web site receives more than 300,000 visits per month —more than 10,000 each day.
More than 650 web pages provide extensive information about papillary and follicular thyroid cancer and their variants, plus added specialized web sites for medullary thyroid cancer, anaplastic thyroid cancer, and pediatric thyroid cancer. The web site also connects you to a broad range of support services, awareness campaigns, and fundraising for thyroid cancer research.
Free downloadable publications include the Free Low-Iodine Cookbook in English, Spanish, and French, plus dozens of other publications. A Chinese language translation is also in progress.
Thank you very much to the more than 50 thyroid cancer specialists who provide their input and expertise, and to the many dozens of volunteers on ThyCa’s Publications and Web Site Teams.
Four Online Surveys: Have You Taken Part?
There’s still time to complete these surveys; the international survey will close on April 1st. Click here to find the online questionnaires and further information:
Survey Sponsored by International Thyroid Cancer Patient Alliance
Plus 3 Different Surveys sponsored by several ThyCa Medical Advisors in cooperation with ThyCa.
Thank you in advance for your participation.
Cookbook’s 7th Edition Coming Soon
Nearly ready for publication is the expanded 7th edition of ThyCa’s Free Low-Iodine Cookbook. The new edition will have more than 320 delicious recipes. It will also have lots of helpful tips. More than 160 wonderful volunteers contributed recipes and tips.
Thank you very much to everyone who’s helping make the Low-Iodine Diet easier for people preparing to receive radioactive iodine. Watch for the expanded Free Cookbook on www.thyca.org.
There’s still time to send your favorite recipe, for this edition, or for the Low-Iodine Recipe of the Month. Send your recipe to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Come to the Free Midwest Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Workshop
Saturday, April 17, 2010
On Saturday, April 17, 2010, thyroid cancer survivors, caregivers, and friends are invited to the 6th Midwest Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Workshop. The workshop is sponsored by ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Association, Inc. and organized and hosted by the ThyCa support groups in Missouri.
This free educational and supportive event takes place from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Community Center for Health and Education, St. Joseph Medical Center, 1000 Carondelet Drive (I-435 and State Line), Kansas City, Missouri.
- Uzma Khan, M.D., Endocrinologist, University of Missouri Hospital, Columbia, Missouri
- Paul Ladenson, M.D., Endocrinologist, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland
- Debbie Ritchie, M.S.N., A.P.R.N., B.C., F.N.P., Advanced ENT Nurse Practitioner, University of Missouri Hospital, Columbia, Missouri
- Lisa Shnayder, M.D.,FACS, Otolaryngologist, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas.
People at all phases of testing, treatment, and follow-up for thyroid cancer, as well as family members, friends, and everyone interested in learning from experts about thyroid cancer are welcome. Nursing contact hours will be provided by Carondelet Health.
This event is free. You are invited to come for all or part of the day. Register either online or onsite at the workshop. For more information, e-mail email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 816-529-6643.
The ThyCa Kansas City Support Group is the primary organizer of the event, with help from the ThyCa Central Missouri and ThyCa St. Louis Support Groups. Visit ThyCa’s web site at www.thyca.org for more details about the program and directions to St. Joseph Medical Center.
Vermont/New England Thyroid Cancer Symposium To Be Part of Stowe Weekend of Hope
On Saturday, May 1, 2010, everyone interested in thyroid cancer is invited to hear physician speakers and take part in survivor/caregiver roundtables at the Vermont/New England Thyroid Cancer Symposium. The symposium is co-sponsored by ThyCa as part of the Stowe Weekend of Hope in Stowe, Vermont. Visit www.thyca.organdwww.stowehope.org for more information and registration.
Free One-Day Workshops Also Planned in Florida, Maryland, and Newfoundland, Canada
- Saturday, May 22, 2010. Baltimore, Maryland. The 9th Annual Mid-Atlantic Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Workshop will be held at St. Joseph’s Medical Center in Towson, MD.
- • Saturday, May 29, 2010. St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada. The Newfoundland-Labrador Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Workshop
- Saturday, June 5, 2010. North Miami Beach, Florida. The Florida Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Workshop will take place at Jackson North Medical Center in North Miami Beach, FL.
- Saturday, July 17, 2010. Stanford, California. The California Thyroid Cancer Survisors’ Workshop will take place at Stanford Cancer Center, Stanford, CA.
These free one-day educational events are sponsored by ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Association, Inc. Thyroid cancer survivors, their families, caregivers, and friends are invited to attend.
Visitour website for details.
Free Thyroid Disease Forum on May 15 in Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Thyroid Disease and You” is the title of the free public education forum being held in conjunction with the American Thyroid Association meeting in Minneapolis, Minnesota, on Saturday, May 15. The ATA Alliance for Thyroid Patient Education (including ThyCa) will sponsor this free forum from 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. at the ATA meeting hotel. Physician specialists will speak and answer questions. You’ll find details on our Calendarpage.
USA Today Article Focuses on Procedures After Radioactive Iodine
Read a follow-up article by Steve Sternberg of USA Today about thyroid cancer and the controversy over hospital stays versus home discharge for patients receiving large treatment doses of radioactive iodine.
In 2007, Steve Sternberg wrote a series of articles on this same topic. The articles included the results of a patients’ experiences survey conducted in cooperation with ThyCa. The survey was posted on ThyCa’s web site for one week and received over 900 responses. This page has a report and links to the 2007 articles.
Thank you to these 61 wonderful volunteers, for generously contributing some of your favorite new recipes for the upcoming 7th Edition of the ThyCa Free Downloadable Low-Iodine Cookbook. You also sent many helpful tips and menu suggestions, which the cookbook will also include.
Line E. of England, Angela B., Dana B., Dian B. of Maryland, Diana B. of Indiana, Mickie B., June C., Laura C., Maria C., Becky D., Beth D., Margaret D., Nadine D., Nan F. of Maryland, Thelma F., 2 Friends, Andra G., Jane G. of Oregon, Jody G. of Illinois, Suzanne G. of New York, Barrett H., Kathy H. of Texas, Michele H., Stella and Mark H. of Indiana, Tracy H., Fawn K., Nancy K., Andrea L., Heather L. of California, Melissa L. of Pennsylvania, Bill and Karen M. of Georgia, Cindy M., Jamie M., Joanne M. of Texas, L.M. of Pennsylvania, Michele M., Mo O. of Washington, Dana P. of Pennsylvania, Dana R., Jill Ann R., Laura R., Linda R. of Massachusetts, Sharon R., Whitney R. of Virginia, Deb S. of Wisconsin, Frances P. of Maryland, Frances S. of Pennsylvania, Judy S. of Florida, Liz S. of California, Sherry S., Alice U., Serene V., Jo W. of Arizona, Becki W. of Pennsylvania, Jill W. of Louisiana, Lily W., Terri Y., and Jean Z. of California
Thank you also to the more than 100 volunteers whose tasty recipes appeared in the 6th edition, and will continue in the 7th edition. You’re all giving wonderful support making the low-iodine diet easier for people preparing to receive radioactive iodine.
ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Association, Inc. is now on Facebook (Group Name: THYCA)!
Thank you to everyone who’s already become a THYCA Fan! Send us your messages and suggestions!
ThyCa Represented at National Comprehensive Cancer Network Meeting
At the National Comprehensive Cancer Network Meeting in March 2010 in Florida, the volunteers who represented ThyCa and handled our outreach exhibit were Christine Ciletti, ThyCa South Florida Support Group Co-Facilitator, Lori Grossman, and Linda Leibovici. Thank you! NCCN is a professional organization of major cancer treatment and research centers. It’s linked from the Links section of www.thyca.org.
Invitation to Partner in Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month, Sponsored by ThyCa
We invite your organization to join us as a participating partner in Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month, September 2010.
This annual observance, sponsored by ThyCa since 2000 and listed in official health events calendars, promotes thyroid cancer awareness for early detection, as well as care based on expert standards, and increased research to achieve cures for all thyroid cancer.
As a partner, we simply ask that you help to promote Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month. Your organization will be acknowledged as a participating partner in ThyCa’s newsletters and on our web site, and we will include information about your organization at the 13th International Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Conference, both on the Resource Tables and in the Program Booklet given to all attendees.
You may choose also to host an event or observance through your organization, and to register it with ThyCa for recognition on our web site, in our free online Newsletter, and in our Calendar of Events. Large or small, your event will be the perfect opportunity to raise awareness of thyroid cancer and acknowledge the contributions of everyone. Please let us know the details about your event, and if you are willing to allow others to develop a similar event.
The 2010 Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month Planning Guide will be available to you free of charge at www.thyca.org. It will contain information you need to know to promote a successful ThyCa awareness activity, on your own or through your organization.
If you have questions or need further assistance, please contact us at email@example.com. Our organization is here to help.
There is no cost.
ThyCa’s Outreach Team
Low-Iodine Recipe of the MonthContributed by Dana Peach, Pennsylvania
½ pound to 1 pound spinach, washed
1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons white vinegar
pinch of parsley
non-iodized salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup slivered almonds with 2 more Tablespoons sugar
Combine oil, sugar, vinegar, and spices. Shake well and refrigerate. Toss almonds with the additional 2 Tablespoons sugar and stir over medium heat until golden brown. When ready to serve, place oranges and almond on top of the salad greens and toss lightly with dressing.
Thank you, Dana! We’ll include all the recipes you sent in the next edition of the FREE Downloadable Low-Iodine Cookbook.
Download the 6th edition of the Low-Iodine Cookbook for free, with more than 250 favorite recipes from more than 100 generous volunteers.
The Cookbook is also available in Spanish and in French . Please remember, while you’re welcome to download and print the entire free low-iodine cookbook, you can also print just the pages you need.
This free cookbook is a wonderful help when you’re preparing to receive radioactive iodine for treatment or testing. All the recipes are favorites of some of our ThyCa volunteers, who are sharing them with everyone, to make the low-iodine diet easy and tasty. The recipes are also great for family meals and for potlucks, any time.
The expanded 7th edition is coming soon.
If you’d like to contribute your favorite recipe or tip, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help Support the 2010 Rally for Research
Thanks to generous contributions and special fundraising events, ThyCa has awarded new thyroid cancer research grants every year starting in 2003. These grants support our goal of cures for all thyroid cancer and a future free of thyroid cancer. We plan to award new research grants in 2010.
You can help support the Rally for Research. For details about the Rally for Research, donation opportunities, special events, Quarters for a Cure, and information about ThyCa’s past and future Research Grants, visit the Rally for Research page.
You’re Invited To Become a Member
Help us sustain, strengthen, and extend our services. We invite you to join ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Association, Inc.
Your membership dues will support ThyCa’s efforts to reach and serve other survivors and their families around the world. You may join as a 1-year member ($25), 2-year member ($45), or lifetime member ($225). For our secure online Membership Form and our mailed Membership Form, go to our Membership page.
For details and contacts, go to our Calendar page.
- Every Month in 2010. ThyCa’s Thyroid Cancer Support Group Meetings in Your Community.
- Saturday, April 17, 2010. Kansas City, Missouri. The 6th Midwest Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Workshop with Physician Speakers.
- Saturday, May 1, 2010, Stowe, Vermont. The Vermont/New England Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Symposium with Physician Speakers.
- Saturday, May 15, 2010, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Thyroid Disease and You. Free educational forum about all thyroid disorders. Physician speakers.
- Saturday, May 22, 2010. Baltimore, Maryland. The 9th Annual Mid-Atlantic Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Workshop with Physician Speakers.
- Saturday, May 29, 2010. St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. Newfoundland and Labrador Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Workshop with Physician Speakers.June 4-5, 2010. Rockville, Maryland. Hypoparathyroidism Patient Conference, sponsored by the nonprofit Hypoparathyroidism Association.
- Saturday, June 5, 2010. North Miami Beach, Florida. The Florida Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Workshop with Physician Speakers.
- Friday, June 18, 2010, Chicago, Illinois. Cancer-Related Legal Issues. Free educational conference sponsored by the Cancer Legal Resource Center.
- Saturday, July 17, 2010, Stanford, California. The California Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Workshop with Physician Speakers.
- September 2010. Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month. Sponsored by ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Association, Inc.
- Friday, October 8, 2010, Los Angeles, California, at UCLA Medical Center. Cancer-Related Legal Issues. Free educational conference sponsored by the Cancer Legal Resource Center.
- The 13th International Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Conference
October 15-17, 2010 in Dallas, Texas
Sponsored by ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Association, Inc.
- The 9th Annual Dinner/Auction Fundraiser for Thyroid Cancer Research.
October 16, 2009 in Dallas, Texas
Sponsored by ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Association, Inc.
Every day, thousands of people with thyroid cancer, and their families, receive support, education, and hope from ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Association, Inc.
Every day, numerous people distribute ThyCa outreach materials to their physicians, making them aware of a resource that can benefit their patients dealing with a thyroid cancer diagnosis.
Your generous support is what makes it possible to sustain, strengthen, and expand our services and outreach. It only takes a minute to make a secure donation online in support of ThyCa’s work (or you are welcome to donate by mail), so click here to give.
What sections of ThyCa’s web site do you find most helpful? What suggestions do you have for ThyCa’s web site? E-mail your answers and ideas to email@example.com.
About ThyCa NEWS NOTES
Copyright (c) 2010 ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Association, Inc.
Thank you to our writing, editing, and proofreading team for this issue of the newsletter: Leah Guljord, Pat Paillard, Dana Peach, Barbara Statas, Cherry Wunderlich, and Gary Bloom.
Your suggestions for articles are welcome. The deadline for articles and news items is the first day of each month.
Please share ThyCa News Notes with your family and friends. For permission to reprint in another electronic or print publication, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Association, Inc. is a national non-profit 501(c)(3) organization (tax ID #52-2169434) of thyroid cancer survivors, family members, and health care professionals.
We are dedicated to support, education, and communication for thyroid cancer survivors, their families, and friends, as well as to public awareness for early detection, treatment, and lifetime health monitoring, and to thyroid cancer research fundraising and research grants.
Contact us for free awareness materials and information about our free services and special events. E-mail email@example.com, call 1-877-588-7904, fax 1-630-604-6078, write PO Box 1102, Olney, MD 20830-1102, or visit wour website.